View Vacancy - Residence Manager, 07/18 KSH
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
* Main purpose of job:
The residence manager is ultimately responsible for running the British Ambassador’s residence in Kinshasa. This is a complex role as the residence is both a family home and a venue for official entertainment and diplomatic meetings. The residence manager will take responsibility for the organisation of events at the residence and the supervision the residence staff. They will ensure excellent service to visitors and that the house and garden always look elegant and fully representational. They will play a role in overseeing the residence finances with close attention to value for money.
The Residence Manager will work a 36 hour week. Some evening/out of hours work will be required to participate in receptions/events.
The Residence Manager will be a confident self starter, with strong team leadership and communication skills. Good English would be an advantage, as would basic computing skills (email, document handling). S/he will be welcoming, organised, have the ability to multitask and work with close attention to detail. S/he will also be reliable and trustworthy and flexible. Due to the nature of the role, the jobholder will need to be prepared to undertake mundane and unglamorous work e.g. cleaning, serving food/drinks as well as overseeing important social and diplomatic events. Many Ambassadors have had children and so the ability to work around children is also required, as is a sensitivity to the needs of the Ambassador and their family for privacy.
* Roles and responsibilities:
- Supervising a team of 2 (chef and deputy butler).
- Liaising closely with other residence staff and the Ambassador to deliver a schedule of receptions, dinners, lunches, events and visitors staying at the Residence.
- Assist in the devising of appropriate menus for all meals/receptions, overseeing preparation and serving of events.
- Ensuring due protocol e.g. table plans for discussion with host, print place cards and menus.
- Keep a daily updated diary of upcoming events at the Residence and coordinate with Line Manager.
- Be responsible for house guests, tracking arrival times and ensuring they are greeted, ensure guestrooms are being kept clean, and ready for use at all times.
- Keep sensible store of basic supplies and keep wine cellar in good order.
- Carryout purchases of food drink and residence supplies, ensuring a value for money focus.
- Attend large functions and being on hand during VIP visits to ensure smooth running of events.
- Ensure high standards of cleanliness and tidiness, and that all equipment/facilities are in good working order at all times.
- Cleaning certain parts of the residence as directed by line manager and/or the ambassador (this will vary from time to time).
- Occasional Washing and Ironing (including clothes, bed and table linen) when the maid is absent.
- Reporting to the maintenance manager any maintenance and repairs to be carried out at the Residence.
- Overseeing and following up on maintenance and use of Residence stocks and inventory of assets.
- Regularly updating inventories of works of art, silver and valuables, crockery, linen and office equipment. Ensure annual inventories are carried out and submitted on time.
- Ensure health, safety and security regulations are adhered to and that safe working practices are applied at all times.
- Undertaking certain task in periods of absence.
- IT skills: sufficient to handle accounting claims, programme schedules and procurement procedures. Competent in the use of Microsoft Office.
- Leadership and team working skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to deliver results to a high standard
- Attention to detail
- Good judgement and ability to think creatively to solve problems
- Experience in hospitality sector
- IT skills: Competent in the use of Microsoft Office
- Budget management
: Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service
Application deadline: 4 July 2018
Grade: A1 (L)
Type of Position: Permanent
Country/Territory: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Location (City): Kinshasa
Type of Post: British Embassy
Number of vacancies: 1
Starting monthly salary (USD): 591 + allowances
Start Date: 1 August 2018
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Kinshasa are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Democratic Republic of Congo.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British Embassy do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
Site Internet :