Mbuji-Mayi, Nord et Sud-Kivu ()
MBUJI-MAYI - NORTH - SOUTH KIVU
We are Save the Children. We work in more than 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfill their potential.
Save the Children began working in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 1994 when the conflict started in the east of the country. The Democratic Republic of Congo is acknowledged to be one of the most difficult countries in which to grow up. Access to essential services is very limited and children are subject to widespread exploitation and abuse, including recruitment into armed groups, forced labour, sexual abuse and abandonment.
Working with partners, Save the Children currently operates in North Kivu, South Kivu, Ituri, Kasai Oriental and Lomami provinces, implementing 25 projects worth 20M USD in 2017, with around 300 staff members providing humanitarian and social services to over 1 million children every year in DRC in the thematic areas of Education, Child Protection, Health and Nutrition, Child Rights Governance and Child Poverty.
Save the Children in DRC works in Child Protection, Education, Health, Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods and WASH responding to emergencies and longer term development needs.
The Operations Coordinator will be supporting the Field Operations Manager (FOM) and the Humanitarian Program Manager (HPM) and will be contributing to the day-to-day management of operations in the field offices to effectively deliver Save the Children's programmes in their area, coordinating mainly the support functions. He/she can be delegated as focal point for all local external coordination.
In this role, the person will contribute to making SCI DRC a high performing country programme primarily by overseeing the support services functions (HR/Admin, Logs, Finance) but also supporting in programme and budgets development, implementation and monitoring as well as control and risk management related to operations.
He/she will support the FOM and the HPM in ensuring effective start-up of projects or emergency responses.
The role holder will also provide back-up to vacant positions in the SCI DRC Country Operations team.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- With the guidance of the FOM/HPM, support technical and program teams to allow smooth implementation of project activities according to the grant requirements, on time and within budget.
- Supports the Project Managers/Coordinators in ensuring program & support staff work in cohesion through coordination and information sharing with and between all key staff.
- Helps the FOM/HPM to manage budgets for operational support costs in the field office; supports operational staff in proper budget management, and verifies that transactions are done correctly.
- When requested, contribute to the design of cost effective, innovative and high-quality programs to serve difficult to reach children and ensure donor compliance and regulations.
- Support projects and offices start-ups and close outs, depending on the context developments
- Serve as budget holder as assigned.
- Support in projects and budgets performance monitoring and risk management
- Support all projects kick-off planning and implementation as required and in line with the project cycle management
- Contribute to the timely responses at scale to all emergencies consistent with established benchmarks, plans and organizational policies, and in close cooperation with incoming surge teams.
- Coordinate responses reporting and updates
- Support in programme performance and risk management
- Provide back-up coverage to vacancies and leaves as required
Supervise Response support services (HR/Admin, Finance and Logs)
- Ensure that existing Finance, Logistics, Administrative and HR guidelines and related procedures are adhered to.
- Of special note he/she oversees and supports the procurement process, helping to ensure that procurement is in line with the SCI procurement procedures;
- Support the transparent, rigorous recruitment and appropriate orientation of new staff;
- Ensures implementation of the performance management system;
- Coordinate and collaborate with support services (Security, Info Comms, Advocacy and Awards) in all relevant matters
- Support the regular reviews and updates of Emergency Preparedness Plan and Early Warning Plan along with the relevant field or Country Office staff.
- Contributes to the CO organisational readiness to respond to emergencies in line with SCI global emergency goal and benchmarks.
- Implement a full set of emergency preparedness actions, drawing on SC member input and resources
- Support the enforcement of Save the Children’s institutional policies such as Child Safeguarding policy, anti-fraud / anti-corruption, etc.
- Support humanitarian assessments as required
- Report on all CSP allegations and cases in keeping with local procedures
- Alert on any CSP suspicions in keeping with the Whistle blowing Policy
- Cooperates as requested by the Country Director in all CSP awareness raising, induction, training activities and conduct of investigations on CSP allegation and cases
- Masters degree, preferabley in the area of Management or Social sciences, or an undergraduate degree complemented by significant related work experience
- Strong understanding of logistic, procurement, finance, HR/Admin procedures
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French and computer literate
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Significant experience working with an INGO in a similar position – min. 2 years
- Strong skills and experience in the management of support systems, especially for Logistics and Procurement, Finance, HR and Administrative support, and team building – min. 2 years
- Experience of implementing projects funded by major institutional donors (UNICEF, ECHO, DfID, GAC, USAID) and sound awareness of donor compliance requirements – min. 2 years
- Experience in coordination within a large institutional context, ie with a Country, Regional and HQ Officers and senior managers – min. 2 years
- Experience with budget management and oversight; and good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate (French and English) at all levels and to motivate the field teams and partners to deliver results in difficult working environment.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV to Drc.Recruitment@savethechildren.org with email subjet : « Operations Coordinator ». Closing date : 26 October 2018 at 4:00 pm.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Société :Save the Children
Site Internet :