Deputy IT Support Officer 09/18 KSH
Kinshasa et Goma ()
View Vacancy - Deputy IT Support Officer 09/18 KSH
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category : Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory : Corporate Services Support
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
To provide IT support for the British Embassy offices in Kinshasa and Goma. This encompasses management of user accounts, assisting end users in using their IT, resolving faults, maintaining the local ICT infrastructure and managing information and IT assets.
Roles and responsibilities:
IT Administration, User Support, Change and Security
To provide efficient and effective support on a day to day basis to users of the network, systems and telephony
- Act as first point of contact for users on IT related issues and be responsible for advice on use of systems.
- Proactively maintain Firecrest/Tech Overhaul systems, reporting incidents and degradations in performance promptly to the Helpdesk and escalating through the correct channel
- Act as single point of contact for changes to IT at post
- Liaise with the Helpdesk to resolve IT issues at post and act as point of contact for technical visits
- Administer user accounts e.g. requesting new account creations from the Helpdesk, and where no Helpdesk intervention is necessary: unlock, disable, enable and reset passwords on certain systems.
- Add users to uncleared printer groups and manage scanner accounts
- Manage shared mailboxes and distribution lists
- Be responsible for IT Security Procedures including SOPS management
- Manage the server backup regime (when ITSO is not present)
- Act as Media Custodian
- Escalate suspected/observed IT Security breaches to the PSO/Cleared ITSO
- Play an active role in Post’s Business Continuity Plan and Crisis Management Plan
- Act as Information Management Officer (IMO) or Information Support Officer (ISO) at Post for documatation record keeping, as well as administering post’s SharePoint sites.
- Support the ITSO in providing IT support to other government departments IT systems, in line with their procudures/standards.
- Supervise visits to post for IT maintenance purposes by local suppliers.
- Review, procure, install and maintain uncleared hardware equipment (e.g. desktops, laptops, printers andservers)
- Ensure changes to IT at post e.g. office moves follow the correct IT Change procedures e.g. Contract Change (CCR) or Request for Change (RFC), IOC3
- Manage a small pool of ‘hot’ spares of desktops and laptops as well as server spares (FRU kits) and order replacement spares to replenish those used to resolve a fault.
- Rebuild desktops and laptops when required as instructed by the Help Desk
- Administer stand alone machines and dirty network
- Install and maintain hardware/peripherals and support cabling, switches, etc.
- Install Bitlocker software and regenerate pins
- Replace backup tapes when required (including for Proviso servers)
- Maintain the Inventory of IT equipment
- Contribute to the Annual ACCA process, providing locally procured hardware asset Inventory/Info Assurance Register/locally procured software inventory etc.
- Support the ITSO in management of 3rd party service providers e.g, interent service providers, Mobile phone, hardware maintenance, consumables
- Report any issues with machine room Heating, Ventilation and Air conditioning (HVAC).
ECHO (Telephone System)
- Act as local contact for ECHO tasks
- Act as first point of contact for end users on site who have a problem with the Echo service (including unclassified video-conferencing).
- Perform 1st level diagnostics on user reported problems e.g. power on, handset plugged in etc.
- Replace faulty telephone handsets using spares from on-site spares holding.
- Where appropriate, capture information required by Vodafone and log an incident with the Vodafone service desk.
- Work with Vodafone service desk to perform basic checks on Echo equipment located on site e.g. power, cabling, warning lamp status.
- Act as a point of contact for any on-site technical visit required to resolve an incident.
- Ensure the necessary access arrangements are in place for the Vodafone engineer and ensure that any replacement hardware that may have been sent, or is in the post spares kit, is available to the Vodafone engineer (depending on the location of the equipment).
- Assist with logistical support process e.g. as a recipient for any replacement equipment which may be sent to site to resolve an incident.
- Ensure that any faulty equipment is returned through the logistics process.
- Order replacement spares to replenish any site-level spares; ensure that the spares inventory held at site is always at the level detailed in the detailed site design document.
- Act as the central point of contact for all MACD requests e.g. new user creation and equipment, upgrade hardware, deletion of users.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Reconginsed IT qualification.
Ability to prioritise own workload
Objective and constructive approach to problem solving
Capable of coping with pressure and meeting deadlines
Excellent level of written and spoken English
Proficiency in Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2016
Basic knowledge of TCP/IP
Previous experience working in customer service and /or IT Support
Knowledge of networking protocols (LAN/WAN/VPN)
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
Knowledge and experience of IT Network Infrastructures
Experience of working for a diplomatic or international organisation.
Working knowledge of Video Conferencing technologies
Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline : 16 January 2019
Grade : A2 (L)
Type of Position : Permanent
Working hours per week : 36
Region : Africa
Country/Territory : Democratic Republic of the Congo
Location (City) : Kinshasa
Type of Post : British Embassy
Number of vacancies : 1
Starting monthly salary () : $ 778
Start Date : 16 February 2019
Other benefits and conditions of employment : The successful candidate will be required to do an in-house training course.
The successful candidate will be encouraged to develop their skills through coaching and internal training. There may be the possibility to obtain funding for work-related external study.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Kinshasa are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Democratic Republic of Congo.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- The British Embassy do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-frameworkPlease note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
Click this link to apply: Job Advert - Deputy IT Support Officer 09/18 KSH
Site Internet :