Manager - Research, Evidence & Learning
Manager - Research, Evidence & Learning
Cote D'IvoireCongo, The Democratic Republic of theFull time
VillageReach transforms health care delivery to reach everyone, so that each person has the health care needed to thrive. We develop solutions that improve equity and access to primary health care. This includes making sure products are available when and where they are needed and primary health care services are delivered to the most under-reached. Radical collaboration with governments, the private sector and other partners strengthen our ability to scale and sustain these solutions. Our work increases access to quality health care for more than 46 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach in incorporated in Washington State and has offices in Seattle (USA), Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, and Mozambique.
VillageReach invites qualified candidates to apply for the position of Manager– Research, Evidence & Learning (REL). REL supports VillageReach programs in research and evaluation efforts to improve program performance, generate evidence of program impact and promote a culture of learning. Ideal candidates are experienced in designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation plans, experienced in quantitative & qualitative methods, experience managing research projects, and skilled in business development including building relationships with donors and writing proposals. A Master’s degree or equivalent in public health, epidemiology, biostatistics or similar field is required.
Research, Evidence and Learning team members support a portfolio of programs, typically supporting 3-5 programs simultaneously. Typical support includes design of monitoring and evaluation plans, support with routine data collection, cleaning and analysis, design and implementation of evaluations at key points in a programs lifespan, donor reporting, and fundraising. Examples of potential work assignments are below:
- Serve as the Research, Evidence and Learning advisor for VillageReach’s Drones for Health program which uses unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to supply hard-to-reach health centers
- with needed vaccines, medicines and other essential medical products. This includes leading the updating, dissemination and partnership building around the Drone Evidence Toolkit and encourage global evidence sharing through the Medical Drone Delivery Database.
- Lead the design, analysis and reporting of an upcoming impact evaluation of a phone-based system design to improve immunization rates in Cote D’Ivoire through SMS reminders to parents of when vaccinations are due and electronic records of vaccine histories.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of a DRC-based program to improve the supply of vaccines. This includes the rollout of a new Power BI dashboard to support data visibility and organizational reporting.
- Help build the REL portfolio through building relationships with donors, cultivating new partnerships, writing proposals, and working with programs to fund evaluations and evidence generation.
- Provide monitoring and evidence support to other programs as needed including design of monitoring and evaluation plans, cleaning and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data, programmatic recommendations based on learning, donor reporting, and managing internal and external research projects and evaluations.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
* Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
* Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
* Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
* Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
* Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position can include the supervision of associates and/or research assistants. Managers are expected to carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; monitoring performance; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education & Experience:
Master’s degree or equivalent in public health, epidemiology, biostatistics or similar field is required
At least two to five (2-5) years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and work experience is required.
- Fluency in English and French is required
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Experience in data analysis and data visualization software such as STATA, R, PowerBI, and Tableau preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication abilities, and ability to synthesize and deliver information to diverse audiences in a clear and concise way.
- Skilled in managing programs and research projects including creating workplans, facilitating team meetings and working with team members to ensure deliverables are met.
- Ability to work and collaborate remotely with an international workforce across all time zones and multiple languages.
Environment and Physical Demands
Due to the time zone differences between our offices in the US, DRC, Malawi and Mozambique and location of other global staff, US based staff are expected to be available for early morning meetings starting at 6am. Staff located in Europe and Africa are expected to be available for late afternoon/evening meetings up to 6pm.
Most of the work will be sitting or standing at a computer. Some travel to the locations where program work is conducted to collaborate with other staff, collect data, and present at conferences may be required.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to our online portal: https://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
Site Internet :