Marketing and Sales Assistant
International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
Recruiting a Marketing and Sales Assistant
The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) - a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org) – develops technologies, innovative methods, and new knowledge that better enable farmers, especially smallholders, to make agriculture competitive and profitable as well as sustainable and resilient. CIAT conducts research for development in tropical regions of Latin America, Africa, and Asia (www.ciat.cgiar.org).
HarvestPlus (www.harvestplus.org) is a Global Multidisciplinary Program of the International Consultative Group on Agricultural Research (CGIAR). HarvestPlus seeks to develop and disseminate basic food crops, which are relatively rich in bio-available micronutrients (vitamin A, iron and zinc) as a promising way to reduce micronutrient malnutrition in developing countries. HarvestPlus is coordinated by the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), headquartered in Colombia, and the IFPRI (International Food Policy Research Institute) headquartered in Washington, DC, USA. HarvestPlus works in collaboration with ten CGIAR centers and a large number of partner institutions and developed countries.
The position works closely with the Harvestplus Country Manager to design and support Marketing and Sales platforms for biofortified beans, maize, cassava and other biofortified products and develop strategies to assist in linking partners to markets and market information; while monitoring indicators for biofortified crops market and economic activities.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- In collaboration with the Country Manager, design and develop marketing promotion strategies for biofortified beans, maize, cassava and other biofortified products;
- Work with the communications unit to develop and produce promotional materials necessary for the marketing of biofortified products;
- Develop points of sales for biofortified products based on the needs assessment;
- Conduct regular analysis of market trends, elaborate the documentation, including the overall monitoring of the price level for biofortified products;
- Facilitate the negotiation of contracts and sales management with producers, aggregators, agrodelaers and processors of biofortified products;
- Establish links with market with stakeholders and value-added business strategies for biofortified products;
- Facilitate consumer acceptance of biofortified products;
- Conduct field visits to assess the effectiveness of marketing and information through the delivery of biofortified products;
- Develop a strategy of collaboration with partners on the information available on biofortified products at the national and regional market based on platforms of information recognized in the market;
- Work closely with groups and farmers' associations in order to establish trade links with traders and institutional buyers;
- Build the capacity of associations and groups of farmers by focusing on retailers to establish profitable trading systems and a steady supply of bio-fortified crops;
- Develop strong links with NGOs and other partners involved in agriculture, nutrition and health to promote the dissemination of bio-fortified crops.
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills and experience:
- Bachelor of Science (BSc)) in Marketing or Agricultural Economics with at least experience of three (3) years in agricultural extension and/or marketing of food products;
- Experience in marketing and sales or in participatory research methods and data collection;
- Experience in working with agro-dealers and in supporting small scale agricultural producers in marketing and sale of their products;
- Good understanding of gender approach, strong interpersonal skills and good ability to organize and work with local NGO and farmer communities;
- Fluent in French and good in English with strong writing skills and able to communicate in local languages;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to work independently with minimum of supervision but also participate as a member of the team
- Willingness to travel as needed.
Terms of employment:
This a nationally recruited position based at the CIAT Offices in Bukavu, DR Congo. The contract will be for a oneyear period, subject to probation period of three (3) months, renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to get full details for the position and to submit their applications. Applications should include reference number Ref: HV-2401 Marketing and Sales Assistant as position applied for. Applications should be saved as one document using the candidate’s lastname, firstname for ease of sorting.
Applications closing date: 26th July 2019
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Site Internet :